It’s been up for a while now, but this is my church’s official page on Facebook. Tree of Life Church (TLC) Mumbai
The page brings in all the posts from our blog, has a lot of photo albums going up and even has updates on our new schedules and meetings. I created the page with a view of having authenticity for our church website. After all, you can’t trust every website that is put up on the net. When you have an FB page and a twitter page with people interacting, you know it exists at least. I’ve added a button to the FB page on our church website so people can easily link there.
So the fans haven’t grown much. It’s still stuck at 90. But I’m optimistic about it. There are a lot of people who interact and read the posts, who wouldn’t have bothered to read it if I had just left the posts on our TLC blog. So, not only do I get newcomer’s to judge us, but I also keep our own members updated. If you have a church, I’d suggest you make a page for it. And avoid making groups. Pages are better
Here are few reasons why you should make a page :
- Pages are indexed by search engines. Which means that if you have a page, that along with your website has better chances of getting noticed and ranked higher.
- Pages can have applications added. Although still in the nascent stage, there are applications being developed that can stream audio files right into the page. You can have your twitter account updated with it. And they are a quite flexible in terms of putting up ads if you ever have to.
- Pages import blog posts very well. There are applications like Social RSS and others to help with that too. They put a link to your note along with a picture. It looks pretty neat.
- Updates are sent in your followers new streams and their inbox. Don’t need to elaborate that. It works like status updates
- And finally, major brands use pages, why shouldn’t you? Brands like Coca-cola (just to name one) effectively make use of FB pages. You can too. This is a good church page for you to check out: CCK (UK) . I take most of my church-tech inspiration from them. Marshill
If that doesn’t impress you, this should. If it doesn’t I don’t know what to say. 😛
A man from Canada, landed up in our church because he searched facebook for a church in Mumbai. Facebook, I repeat, not Google. He came over, and even had meals with us and other members of our church.
Technology is available and God works in countless ways. Pages are one of them. Will you open it up to him?
P.S. My church tweets too @tlcmumbai