Today I had an important choice to make for the 6th semester of my TY BMS (pre MBA) - Either choose a specialization in marketing, or a specialization in Finance. I took a number of opinions and I chose a specialization in Finance at last. Here are a few reasons why:
- Marketing requires a major amount of creativity which may be rather difficult for me. Although I can be creative at times, along with some copied ideas too, this is one reason why I don’t want a specialization in marketing.
- Finance includes topics like the IMF, Foreign Exchange, How to budget etc. Things which I’m interested in.
- Marketing is not a specialized field. A person who has been doing advertising for many years can also shift into marketing. So there is a possibility of saturation of the field.
- Finance on the other hand requires specialization and not many can do the analysis. You need proper training. You can’t have the HR dept. run your finance Dept.
- Lastly and most importantly, Marketing is a field which to a great extent involves changing people’s perception. In other words deceiving them (mostly). In the world its gonna be tough not to lie as well. So, event scripture says, if it weighs on your conscience, don’t do it. This in no ways bad-mouthing those in marketing. Each to his own and i’d rather not do marketing.
Many of my pals in college chose finance too. And some only because others were there. Great! More company :D.
As for my exams, they begin next monday. I’ll be working hard on that now. We are mostly assured of 30 on 40 in our internals for each subject. So on a whole out of 100, we need to get 45 on 60 in each written test to qualify for the DISTINCTION grade of 75%. Once you get distinction, you don’t need to tell anyone your scores. That’s the beauty of working a little harder! 😉 Wish me luck.